Eligibility for a tertiary student concession
If you are eligible and at one of these participating tertiary institutions you can apply for a Tertiary Student Transport Concession Entitlement Card and a Concession Opal card.
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- An Australian citizen (or permanent resident of Australia) residing in NSW; and
- A full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where, by reason of disability, you are enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis); and
- Enrolled in an accredited course of study with a registered higher education provider**; or
- Enrolled in a Vocational Education and Training (VET) accredited course.**
Note: ‘a full-time student’ means:
- a university student who is considered to be enrolled on a full-time basis by their university; or
- a student at an Institution other than a university who is enrolled in an accredited course of study requiring at least 16 hours per week of classes for a continuous period of at least six weeks.
**For full details, see the Guidelines for Issuing NSW Tertiary Student Concessions.
How to apply
First give your consent (does not apply to TAFE NSW students)
For privacy reasons you will first need to check with your student centre whether you have already given your consent for your institution to share your details with Transport for NSW. If you haven’t, and your institution doesn’t have a specific online form for this, you need to complete this consent form and hand it in to your student centre.
Please allow two business days* for your information to reach Transport for NSW before applying for your Concession Opal card or Transport Concession Entitlement Card.
* This may vary depending on the tertiary institution and circumstances. If you're not sure, please contact your institution.
Next, consider where you need to travel:
- If you need to travel in rural/regional NSW, just apply for your Transport Concession Entitlement Card.
Note: If you need to travel in rural/regional only occasionally, you will need to pay a full adult fare unless you carry a Transport Concession Entitlement Card when you travel.
See the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Sydney and surrounding areas - Opal network
Opal is an electronic ticketing system used on public transport in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
Inside the Opal network, if you are a tertiary student, you can travel with one of these tickets:
- Concession Opal card
- Adult Opal card
- Adult Opal single trip ticket or Opal single bus ticket
You are not entitled to travel with a Child/Youth Opal card, Child/Youth Opal single trip tickets or Opal single bus tickets.
How to get your Concession Opal card
See how to apply above
Travelling on your Concession Opal card
You must carry these cards when you travel:
If you do not have your Concession Opal card and proof of entitlement, you will need to pay for and travel with an Adult fare, or you may be fined.
Travelling to and from Sydney Airport train stations
- With your Concession Opal card and proof of entitlement, you are entitled to a Concession Sydney Airport station access fee.
- Without your Concession Opal card and proof of entitlement, you are required to pay the Adult Sydney Airport station access fee.
Read more about travelling to the airport by train and the Sydney Airport station access fee.
Opal card, single trip tickets and fares
Regional NSW - outside Opal network
You must carry this card when you travel:
If you have a valid Transport Concession Entitlement Card, you are entitled to:
- Concession fares on privately-operated regular route local bus services.
- Concession fares on all NSW TrainLink Regional services.
- Concession fares when you travel on interstate train services.
Please note: Concessions do not apply when booking sleeping berths.
Privately owned and operated services may not offer concession travel for NSW Tertiary Students. Check with local transport operators before you travel.
Concessions are not available on fast ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttles buses, chartered bus services and Great Southern Rail.
- Transport Concession Entitlement Card: use the online application form. A replacement fee may apply.
- Concession Opal card: Call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL). A replacement fee may apply.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions or ask at your student office.