You can travel between home and school on any regular public transport services or on a dedicated school bus service.
Teachers planning to travel with a school group, see group travel.
School Opal card
The School Opal card gives eligible school students free travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses and ferries within the Opal network.
The School Opal card replaces the old paper School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) travel passes.
For full details and to apply visit the SSTS website.
Using the trip planner
You can use the trip planner to plan your trip to school on:
- All school buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
- Regular bus, train, ferry and light rail services.
To plan your trip to school on a school bus using the trip planner:
- Enter your location in the 'From' field, such as your home address
- Enter your destination in the ‘To’ field, such as your school name
- Set the date and time you wish to travel, e.g. 8.00am
- Select ‘School bus’ under the ‘More options’ tab to see school buses.
- To narrow down your results to only school buses, untick the checkboxes for the other transport modes.
- Look for the school bus icon in your trip plan results.
Not all schools have dedicated school bus services. Using the trip planner, you can see your trip options on any mode - train, bus, ferry or light rail - operating near your school and home.
School bus timetables
If you know your school route number, you can check timetables and maps for all school buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
To search for a timetable:
- Select the ‘Bus’ tab
- Enter your full route number and ensure you tick ‘Include school buses’.
Note: All State Transit buses and some private operators use a suffix letter in their school route.
If you don’t know your school route number, you can find out by planning a trip to your school using the trip planner, or contacting your school or school bus operator.
If you're not sure who operates buses in your area, you can refer to the following maps. These maps show each area, broken down by bus contract region, with links to the bus operator websites.
These maps show each area, broken down by bus contract region, with links to the bus operator websites.
- Sydney Metropolitan school bus operator map (SMBSC Regions 1-15)
- Blue Mountains school bus operator map (OMBSC Region 8)
- Central Coast and Lower Hunter school bus operator map (OMBSC Regions 1-7)
- Illawarra school bus operator map (OMBSC Regions 9-10).
Using transport apps
If you have a smart phone, you can also view the location of your school bus in real-time using one of four apps:
Conduct while travelling
Students are expected to be courteous and responsible, and follow the school student's code of conduct when travelling between home and school.
School timetables are maintained by individual bus operators. Feedback should be addressed directly to bus operators during regular business hours. See transport operators
Contact us to give feedback about State Transit buses.