International students are generally not entitled to transport concessions in NSW.
To find out if you are eligible and for further details, download the Guidelines for Issuing NSW Tertiary Student Concessions.
International student tickets and fares
International students who use public transport regularly may like to purchase a special international student 90 day MyMulti ticket.
A 90 day international student ticket will let you have unlimited travel in the zones you choose (MyMulti 2 or 3) including travel on public transport in Greater Sydney, the Hunter and the Illawarra.
The international student ticket is valid for 90 days, as nominated at the time of purchase.
A MyMulti 2 international student ticket can be used for unlimited travel on:
- Sydney Ferries routes (trips up to 9km only)
- light rail services
- Sydney Trains services from the CBD and within the area bounded by Bondi Junction, Hornsby, Carlingford, Seven Hills, Liverpool, Holsworthy, Engadine and Caringbah.
A MyMulti 3 international student ticket can be used for unlimited travel on:
- Sydney Ferries routes
- light rail services
- Sydney Trains and Intercity train services
Step-by-step online purchase
- Ask your educational institution for its 6-character CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) provider code and your 10-character one-time international student ticket code.
- Go to Sydney Trains online tickets to register (using Internet Explorer).
- Once you have registered, fill in your email address and password to 'Login'.
- On the Buy tickets page, click on 'International student ticket'.
- Enter your institution’s CRICOS provider code and the 10-character one-time international student ticket code your institution gave you. Click 'Proceed'.
- Select your MyMulti Zone for your 90 day ticket and click 'Get quote'. Check your purchase and click 'Add to cart'.
- Click 'View cart'.
- Recheck your purchase and click 'Checkout'.
- Confirm delivery address, complete your credit card details and click 'Place order'.
- We’ll confirm your international student ticket purchase onscreen, and Express Post your ticket to your registered address within 3 business days.
This step-by-step process is outlined in the International student ticket brochure.
International student tickets are not concessions. As a result, international students using these tickets do not have to carry a NSW Tertiary Student Concession Card when they use public transport.
Travel on NSW TrainLink Regional services is not included with international student tickets. For information on discounts available to international students on Regional services, visit the NSW TrainLink website.
Information for education providers
If you are a CRICOS-registered institution and would like to participate in the international student ticket program, email email@example.com and include:
- details of your institution’s nominated contact for follow-up
- the name of your institution
- your institution's CRICOS registration number
- estimated number of your enrolled eligible international students
Online ticketing staff will be in touch to validate your details and generate a spreadsheet with a range of one-time international student ticket codes. These will be sent to the nominated person in your institution.
How to issue a one-time international student ticket code
- Confirm the eligibility of the student. They must be an international student currently enrolled in a course at a CRICOS-registered institution.
- Once you have confirmed the student is eligible, give them your CRICOS number and the student’s unique one-time international student ticket code so they can purchase their international student ticket online.
- Make sure the same code is not issued to more than one student. If a one-time international student ticket has already been used the purchase will be rejected.
- For audit purposes, please record the names of students against their one-time international student ticket codes.
Terms and conditions of sale
- All issued international student tickets are subject to the conditions as established by Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW). Anyone who purchases, holds or attempts to use a Ticket will be deemed to have fully agreed to these conditions.
- International student tickets offer unlimited travel for 90 days for international students enrolled at CRICOS-recognised Education Providers at the time of purchase.
- International student tickets can only be sold to genuine international students and are not transferable. Sales of international student ticket to non-students are prohibited. Tickets identified as being sold in contravention to these conditions may be cancelled.
- Tickets may only be purchased online.
- The Education Provider may be asked to provide an audit report of the names and relevant student numbers of each Student provided with a one-time international student ticket code (the ‘Personal Information’).
- Any breach of any Condition may, in addition to any other remedy TfNSW may have, and even if the holder of the Ticket did not have notice of the Condition or the breach, result in refusal of travel, cancellation of the Ticket and non-refund of the price of the Ticket. All Tickets remain the property of TfNSW. Such actions are without prejudice to other remedies which may include a fine and/or legal action.
- TfNSW reserves the right to make amendments to these Conditions from time to time; updates will be made on this web page.