School Opal card
School travel pass
For details about eligibility and how to apply online, visit the School Student Transport Scheme website, which has comprehensive information for parents about the Scheme.
The Transport for NSW corporate website has information for schools and operators.
The SSTS school travel pass is issued as a School Opal card, which is kept by the student, if travel is within the Opal network. School Opal cards or SSTS school travel passes issued under the SSTS may be used on train, bus or ferry services as required. The SSTS also provides subsidised travel using long-distance coach services as well as private vehicles in areas without public transport.
How to apply
You will need to complete a new application form if:
- applying for a school travel pass for the first time
- enrolling in kindergarten
- requesting a new additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation.
Only one application needs to be made for each eligible address, regardless of the number of transport operators or modes of transport required.
If the student is changing their school, address or name, you can apply for an update.
If the application is successful:
- In the Opal network, the School Opal card will be sent to the student’s nominated address
- In rural /regional areas, a school travel pass will be sent by each approved operator to the student’s school (or in some cases to their nominated address).
Lost, stolen or damaged School Opal cards: If you proceed with replacing your School Opal card, it will be cancelled immediately and a new card will be sent within 8 to 10 working days. A card replacement fee may apply.
Lost, stolen or damaged rural/regional travel pass
Contact the relevant transport operator to find out the replacement procedure.
Contact the Transport Concessions Office
Mail: Locked Bag 5085, Parramatta NSW 2124
Phone: 131 500