Opal changes from 5 September 2016

    School Student Transport Scheme

      Information note

      Light rail available to eligible students


      School Opal card holders and new applicants can now apply online to travel on light rail services. If approved, students can use their School Opal card to catch light rail services to and from school starting from the beginning of Term 3, 2016.


      To apply, visit the School Student Transport Scheme website


      If you’re a school or TAFE school student you could be entitled to free travel to and from your school or TAFE under the School Student Transport Scheme.

       Inside Opal network

      • Free travel to and from school on approved trains, buses and ferries with the School Opal card (on school days during specific times)
      • Addition of light rail from the start of Term 3, 2016

      Outside Opal network 

      • Free travel to and from school on public transport services services with a school travel pass
      • For boarding school students, free travel on NSW TrainLink Regional services and long distance coach services
      • Subsidised travel to and from school in private vehicles in areas where there is no public transport

      Primary and secondary students in the Opal network who live too close to school for the SSTS may be eligible for a School Term Bus Pass.

      School Opal card

      School travel pass


      For details about eligibility and how to apply online, visit the School Student Transport Scheme website, which has comprehensive information for parents about the Scheme.

      The Transport for NSW corporate website has information for schools and operators.

      The SSTS school travel pass is issued as a School Opal card, which is kept by the student, if travel is within the Opal network. School Opal cards or SSTS school travel passes issued under the SSTS may be used on train, bus or ferry services as required. The SSTS also provides subsidised travel using long-distance coach services as well as private vehicles in areas without public transport.

      How to apply

      You will need to complete a new application form if:

      • applying for a school travel pass for the first time
      • enrolling in kindergarten
      • requesting a new additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation.

      Only one application needs to be made for each eligible address, regardless of the number of transport operators or modes of transport required.

      If the student is changing their school, address or name, you can apply for an update.

      If the application is successful:

      • In the Opal network, the School Opal card will be sent to the student’s nominated address
      • In rural /regional areas, a school travel pass will be sent by each approved operator to the student’s school (or in some cases to their nominated address).

      Replacement passes

      Lost, stolen or damaged School Opal cards: If you proceed with replacing your School Opal card, it will be cancelled immediately and a new card will be sent within 8 to 10 working days. A card replacement fee may apply.

      Lost, stolen or damaged rural/regional travel pass

      Contact the relevant transport operator to find out the replacement procedure.

      Contact the Transport Concessions Office

      Mail: Locked Bag 5085, Parramatta NSW 2124
      Phone: 131 500
      Email: concessions@transport.nsw.gov.au