Beta trip planner help
Beta Trip planner is responsive which means no matter what device you are on – mobile, tablet or desktop – the Trip planner is flexible to work on your screen. It uses the same scheduled data as the existing Trip planner but in the new version, there is real-time data so you can see exactly where your next service is.
To access all the features of the transportnsw.info website we suggest using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Beta trip planner guide
- Plan a Trip
- Change date and time of trip plan
- Change Trip Plan options
- Trip result summary cards
- Trip result details
- Save and pin favourite trips
- Interactive map
- Allow location services
- Find out more about beta trip planner
- Key to icons
Plan a Trip
- Enter 'From' and 'To' location. 'From' location defaults to ‘My current location’, you can type over this - no need to delete. You can plan a trip using:
- an address, street name or suburb
- a train station, bus stop name, ferry wharf or light rail station
- point of interest (e.g. Sydney Opera House)
- a transit stop number (e.g. 200064)
- When you click or tap on the 'From' or 'To' field, beta trip planner will suggest your previously used locations before you type. As you type, the list will filter to suggested matches. Select the closest match.
- Click 'Go' to see results for services that are leaving now.
Change date and time of trip plan
- To change the departure time, click on 'Leaving now’. Changing the date/time will automatically change this option to ‘Leaving’. You can create a trip plan up to 14 days in advance.
- To see results that arrive before a particular time, select 'Arriving'
Time is displayed in 24-hour format. You cannot select a date in the past.
Change Trip Plan options
- Click 'Options' to:
- Include or exclude different modes of transport from your results. Train, bus, ferry and light rail services are selected by default. School buses are not included by default.
- Select ‘Accessible services only’ if you need wheelchair accessible services.
- Change your walk speed (Normal = 4km/h, Fast = 6km/h, Slow = 2km/h).
- Set your maximum walk time (to get to or from your first and last stops).
- Change from Walk to Taxi/Drive
- Click 'Done' then click 'Go' for results.
Fastest trips are displayed by default – that is, the services that will arrive the closest to the departure time or arrival time. Click 'Fastest' to change this to ‘Fewest changes’ or ‘Least walking’.
Trip Results: Summary cards
Trip plan results are displayed on individual ‘summary cards’ which contain trip information, any relevant trip alerts and fare information.
- The time on the left tells you how long until you need to leave. This time will continue to count down to ‘Leave Now’. Once the departure time is in the past, it will display ‘left x min ago’.
- If the first leg is a transport leg (train, bus, ferry, light rail or coach), this is the time until the service departs.
- If the first leg is a walk/taxi, this is the time until you have to leave to start walking / driving.
- Mode icons indicate the transport modes that make up the trip - e.g. Train, Bus, Ferry, Light Rail.
- Route numbers indicate the transport service.
- Walk legs show the walk time - e.g. 10 is 10 minutes.
- Taxi/drive shows the distance in kilometres.
- The departure and arrival time and duration of the whole trip is indicated.
- If a service requires a booking, the ‘booking required’ badge will display.
- Opal fares are calculated for each trip option:
- If all services are Opal enabled, the full fare is displayed.
- If there is one or more Opal-enabled service and one or more non-Opal service, a partial fare is shown, indicated with + Other fares may apply.
- If no services accept the Opal card, ‘Opal not available’ is shown.
The Opal Adult fare is displayed by default. You can click on the fare to change the Opal card type and see other Opal card fares, as well as read more about how Opal fares are calculated and displayed.
See key to icons for more information.
Trip Results: Details
Click on any summary card to see a detailed itinerary of each trip plan result. The expanded card gives detailed instructions for the entire trip, including:
- Departure and arrival stops, station or wharf, colour-coded by mode.
- Where real-time is available for a leg of the trip, the real-time badge will indicate if the service is on time, running early or late.
- Route/line details and direction.
- A wheelchair accessible icon displays if the service is accessible.
- Any relevant alerts or disruptions
- Opal fares at each tap off point.
- A 'Share’ link to allow you to share your trip plan option.
Save and pin favourite trips
Your trips are automatically saved for easy, one-click trip planning.
To pin your favourites to the top of the list, click on the star to the left of the trip. You can also unpin a trip from here too.
To access your favourite and previous trips, click on ‘Clear’ in the top right of the form.
Tip: Set up a trip from ‘My current location’ to your home address or stop. This is our ‘take me home now’ option. The Trip planner will use your current location every time.
Interactive map functions
- 'Map options' display Stops, Opal retailers and Points of interest. On selection, the map will zoom in to show the relevant icons for Stops, Opal retailers or Points of Interest. Icons are only visible when zoomed in. Click any icon for more details or to plan your trip to or from any stop or point of interest.
- You can zoom in , zoom out , or centre the map on your current location .
View trip results on map
- On small screens, such as a smartphone, each trip plan displays a map icon to let you view the trip on the map. To access the map, click the map icon in trip results.
- On large screens, such as a desktop computer, the first trip option is always displayed on the map. Click any other ‘card’ to view that trip on the map.
- Clicking on the walk/drive directions or viewing the stopping pattern on a ‘card’ will zoom to the relevant section of the map.
Plan a Trip: Using the Map
- Right click anywhere on the map to set a ‘From’ or ‘To’ location.
- On a mobile device, click the map icon in the top right hand corner to see the map and then tap and hold anywhere on the map to set a From or To location.
- Alternatively, click on 'Map options' to turn on Stops or Points of Interest. You can then click (desktop) or tap (mobile) these icons to set as the ‘From’ or ‘To’ locations.
Allow Location Services
You may need to allow your computer or mobile phone to use your current location in the Beta Trip planner. Click “Allow” on the pop-up window of the browser or tap “Allow” on the pop-up on your mobile device and enable location services. The message displays differently across browsers.
Beta.transportnsw.info wants to use your computer’s location. Allow
Top of browser, above beta banner
Would you like to share your location with this site? Share Location
Overlay in top left corner, from the menu bar
Beta.transportnsw.info wants to track your physical location. Options for this site > Always allow
Bottom of the browser, centred