Get Opal and top up
How to get an Opal card
Depending on which card you need, there are a number of ways to get an Opal card. Adult and Child/Youth Opal cards are available over the counter while concession cards must be applied for online, or over the phone. To see which Opal card you need, see ticket eligibility.
Opal top up
Opal cards are smartcard tickets that you keep, reload and reuse. There are multiple top up options to add value to your Opal card.
Once you have your Opal card, you can top up in many ways:
- Set up auto top-up, so you never have to worry about your balance
- on the Opal travel app
- on the Opal website
- over the counter from over 2,100 Opal retailers.
- at top up machines available at selected stations and wharves. Search stations, stops and wharves to see which facilities are available at your stop
- at selected Transport Customer Service Centres and Shops
- at selected Service NSW locations.
- by calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL)
Free travel and school Opal cards do not need to be topped up.
For more information about ways to top up and top up amounts, visit the Opal website.
Where to buy Opal single trip tickets
If you don't have an Opal card, you will need to get an Opal single trip ticket. If you don't get an Opal single trip ticket and don't have an Opal card, you can be fined for travelling on an invalid ticket.
Opal single trip tickets are available from top up and single trip ticket machines at selected stations and wharves. Search for your station, stop or wharf to see ticket and other facilities. Opal single trip tickets are recognised by the Opal card readers and you need to tap on and off for your ticket to be valid.
If you are unable to purchase an Opal single trip ticket from your station, stop or wharf, you must get an Opal card.
Travelling without a ticket or with an invalid ticket is fare evasion and you may be fined. See fare compliance.