Skip to main content
This site does not support Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Tertiary students

The green paper Tertiary Student Concession Cards and foil stickers will no longer be accepted after 31 March 2017. They will be replaced by Transport Concession Entitlement Cards.

For travel within the Opal network, if you are a tertiary student travelling with a Concession Opal card you will need to show a valid approved student ID card or Transport Concession Entitlement Card.

For travel in regional NSW or outside the Opal network, if you are travelling on a concession fare, you will need to show a valid Transport Concession Entitlement Card.

If you are enrolled as a full-time tertiary student at a NSW tertiary institution, you are entitled to certain concession fares on public transport in NSW. You must be attending an approved university, TAFE or private college to be eligible.

When travelling on a concession fare, you must carry your proof of entitlement card or you may be fined.


  • Concessions are generally not available on private ferries, event shuttles buses, chartered bus services and Great Southern Rail.
  • Most international tertiary students are not entitled to concession fares.

Ticket options

In the Opal network, if you are an eligible tertiary students you are entitled to travel with a Concession Opal card.

You cannot travel with a Child/Youth Opal card or Child/Youth Opal single tickets.

Proof of entitlement cards for travel inside the Opal network

You must carry your proof of entitlement (either a valid approved student ID card or a Transport Concession Entitlement Card) and your Opal Concession card when you travel within the Opal network.


How to get your Concession Opal card

Before you apply you need to:

Once you have an approved proof of entitlement card, you can apply for a Concession Opal card on the Opal website or by calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

For a replacement Concession Opal card: Call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL). A replacement fee may apply.

Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.

For Opal terms of use, visit the Opal website.

Sydney Airport train station access fee

Eligible tertiary students pay the Concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Concession Opal card to or from the airport train stations.

In regional NSW, eligible tertiary students are entitled to concession fares with a Transport Concession Entitlement Card on:

Some privately owned and operated services may not offer concession travel for NSW Tertiary Student Concession Card holders. Check with local transport operators before you travel.

Transport Concession Entitlement Card

You are eligible if you are a full-time student attending an approved institution.

Apply on the Transport Concession Entitlement Card website.

Cards are issued in line with the terms and conditions for tertiary students.

Concession travel for international students

International students are only entitled to concession fares when their study is fully funded by specified Australian Government scholarships.

Eligibility is determined in accordance with the NSW Tertiary Student concessions guidelines (pdf 347kB).

If you are an eligible international student, you must apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement card to be entitled to the same concession fares as tertiary students across NSW.