You can travel between home and school on any regular public transport services or on a dedicated school bus service.
Teachers planning to travel with a school group, ensure that you read through the information for group travel and school excursions at least three to four weeks before the day.
For travel in Sydney and surrounding areas, the School Opal card gives eligible school students free travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses, ferries and light rail within the Opal network.
For the full details and to apply visit the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) website.
You can use the trip planner to plan your trip to school on:
- All school buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
- Regular bus, train, ferry and light rail services.
To plan your trip to school on a school bus using the trip planner:
- Enter your location in the 'From' field, such as your home address
- Enter your destination in the ‘To’ field, such as your school name
- Set the date and time you wish to travel, e.g. 8.00am
- Select ‘School bus’ under the ‘More options’ tab to see school buses.
- To narrow down your results to only school buses, untick the checkboxes for the other transport modes.
- Look for the school bus icon in your trip plan results.
Not all schools have dedicated school bus services. Using the trip planner, you can see your trip options on any mode - train, bus, ferry or light rail - operating near your school and home.
If you know your school route number, you can check timetables and maps for all school buses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands.
To search for a timetable:
- Select the ‘Bus’ tab
- Enter your full route number and ensure you tick ‘Include school buses’.
Note: All State Transit buses and some private operators use a suffix letter in their school route.
If you don’t know your school route number, you can find out by planning a trip to your school using the trip planner, or contacting your school or school bus operator.
If you're not sure who operates buses in your area, you can refer to the following maps. These maps show each area, broken down by bus contract region, with links to the bus operator websites.
These maps show each area, broken down by bus contract region, with links to the bus operator websites.
- Sydney Metropolitan school bus operator map (pdf 2MB) (SMBSC Regions 1-15)
- Blue Mountains school bus operator map (pdf 400kB) (OMBSC Region 8)
- Central Coast and Lower Hunter school bus operator map (pdf 828kB) (OMBSC Regions 1-7)
- Illawarra school bus operator map (pdf 1MB) (OMBSC Regions 9-10).
If you have a smart phone, you can also view the location of your school bus in real-time using one of four apps:
Use the transport app search tool, and check the school buses box.